Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

my mom and in Rome

That best academy, a mother's knee.  ~James Russell Lowell
 
My mom always said, "you're never to old to sit on your mothers lap," and we believed her. To this day, all four of her girls have no qualms enjoying a chat while sitting on her lap. 
I've received some of the best advice there, had some of the hardiest laughs, and poured out some of the largest tears.
Happy, happy thoughts float into my head when I think of my mom. Among many other things, my mom is thoughtful, loving, empathetic, hilarious, fun, inspiring and strong. It's impossible for me to write this blurb, put a bow on top, and present it as an adequate tribute to her. I can never repay her for everything she has done, but she doesn't expect me to -- yet another admirable quality of my mom.
I remember laying in bed when I was little and just squealing because I could hear the sound of the blender start up. A few minutes later Mel, my mom and I would be sipping chocolate milkshakes in bed. I also think about the time my mom let me stay home from elementary school for my "mental health day." We spent the day doing some science experiments, making rock candy suckers and of course shopping. And my fashionista, maxinista momma and I have some great shopping memories -- all over the globe. I remember laughing so hard at the books on tape we listened to in the car and crying together while watched Little Women. And I'll never forget the spontaneous road trip my mom took with me when I told her I wanted to be somewhere eight hours away in about twelve hours from then. And I'm still laughing at some of the pranks we played together.
So much of me is my mother and I am so happy to say that. She has been the greatest influence in my life and I will love her forever. Happy Mother's Day, mom. I'm so grateful for all you do for me and so happy to have all the memories. And I can't wait for the many to come.

3 comments:

  1. the nicest most thoughtful present you could ever give me. I love you Elizabeth Young Edwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Your Mom is truely a wonderful woman. It's so much fun reading about your adventures and we need to get together soon. Mike and I are going to Rome in the Fall and I want to have you over to give us some advice. I will call you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. I love your mom. I love you. :)

    ReplyDelete